Listen Live

Monday, February 23, 2009

Time for another change...

So, I am not much on making New Year's Resolutions. But that doesn't stop me from making commitments and keeping them. Somehow, the word resolution throws me all off kilter.


I have successfully been a non-smoker for more than 10 months and am doing great. That's not to say that I haven't thought about it. I think of it often, and sometimes wake up feeling guilty if I have dreamt that I was smoking! I don't like the smell though and I almost gag when I walk by someone who's smoking. BLECH...



Quitting smoking has done wonders for me though, my food tastes different, my car smells great and stays clean a lot longer. My clothes and hair smell fresh and clean all the time and no more ash tray mouth! I smoked for 21 years and am confident that quitting at the right time makes all the difference. Unless you're committed, it's not going to work.



In my efforts to quit and stay smoke free, I took on a few more pounds than I'd have liked to. I suppose it's all relative if you think about it. Not really a trade off as far as I am concerned, I'd rather have the weight than the habit. I wouldn't say that I've gone overboard or anything, I can still fit in all my same clothes, but I know it's there just the same.



So, I have decided to make another commitment, and that is to join a gym. I have thought about it for a few months, I've prepared myself for the commitment, I have mentally gone through my schedule, chores and recreation time and have decided what time of day will work best for me. I have made the choice and will stand by it.



I went online and printed out a program to get me started and will take it with me to the gym to make sure I don't forget something, and that I do what I am supposed to. Walking in there is overwhelming and trying to figure out what to do first is oppressive. I took that away by going with my daughter a few times and doing what she does. I've spent some time with the equipment and don't feel that it's too intimidating anymore. The free weights frighten me a bit but with experience and use that will go away too.



I am excited about this, although I hate exercise, I look forward to building stamina, strength and being healthy. I look forward to seeing a better version of myself. (I think of it as Heidi 2.0!) I am in a really great place in my life, personally and professionally. Time to step it up and make myself as good as I can be. I am going to attack it with the same ferocity as I did quitting smoking. That turned out great, this should too.

Rock on with your bad self,

H

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home