Listen Live

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Death in the Family


Last week was sad at my house.

My 7 year old sons guinea pig, Buddy, had to be put to sleep. Buddy was a cool guinea pig...this from a guy that wasn't at all too crazy about getting a furry little rodent and keeping it in a cage in my living room.

But I have to tell you...that little guinea pig grew on me. He ate carrots and lettuce like there was no tomorrow...he ran around his kennel like his butt was on fire, and he loved to snuggle his little furry face into my neck. OK...so what can I say? I fell in love with the little critter just like my kids.

No matter how many times you go through this sort of thing...be it a dog, a cat, or a guinea pig...it doesn't really get any easier. Although the hardest part for me this time was having to tell Nick that Buddy had passed on.

I was a little surprised by his reaction. At first he seemed caught off guard...but I guess it isn't every day that I pick him up from school with bad news. After the shock wore off he tried to act like nothing was different...but several times I saw him looking at Buddy's kennel. Then later he just got quiet.

At bed time I leaned across his bed to give him a hug...and that's when it hit. We locked eyes...and an entire days worth of tears came pouring out...followed by the sobs of someone that had lost a very dear friend.

As I felt Nicks tears against my cheek...I vividly recalled losing my first pet; a dog named Micky. I was about 10 when she had to be put to sleep. I remembered sitting in the Vet Clinic...nervous and scared....waiting. Then I heard my dad crying..something I had never heard before. As all of this played out in my head in that split second that Nick started to cry...I did my best to comfort him. I told him that Buddy had loved him as much as any guinea pig can love a boy...and that he had given Buddy a great life...full of love. He finally settled down and drifted off to sleep.

Things have quieted down since then. Nick has slowly started to get used to Buddy not greeting him with his high pitched chirp each day after school. There's even been a few whispered conversations about a getting a new guinea pig...or maybe a rabbit...in a few weeks.

No matter if we get another guinea pig or a rabbit...Nick will never forget the first pet he ever truly loved. I hope someday when he has a son that he can call upon that sad day that Buddy passed on use that emotion to comfort his son.

Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home