Listen Live

Monday, February 23, 2009

Sorry to Offend

I just got an e-mail from a member of Frank Nation complaining about a comment that I made on Saturday morning about Academy Award winning actress Kate Winslet.

While previewing last nights 81st Academy Awards I mentioned that Kate had been nominated as Best Actress for her role in The Reader...and that she appears nude during the film.




I went on to say that Ms. Winslet has commented that this may be her last nude role because she didn't want to be known as the actress that always got naked on film. To which I replied, "I wouldn't mind if she decided to change her mind about that."

The person that complained said that my comments were "inappropriate, sexist, and crude." While I disagree with this persons perception...I certainly can appreciate the sentiment. However, while my comments may have been a little sexist...there certainly was no harm intended...nor did I mean to be offensive.

If you know me in the slightest then you know that I admire and respect women. My wife is an accomplished woman. She is the Maine State President for AAUW...an outstanding woman's organization that fights for women's rights on not only the state level, but also the national level. I also work side-by-side with a female morning show partner each day, and on more than one occasion in my 26 year career, I've had a female supervisor. Believe me...if I even was slightly sexist any one of them would have set me straight...and rightfully so.

I can assure you that I am not sexist. I'm a red-blooded American guy that appreciates women not only for their beauty and sex appeal, but their intelligence too. The fact is that I applauded Kate Winslet for her great acting ability...as well as being a sexy woman...and made a comment in am attempt to be amusing. If my joke hit a sour chord...and you were offended...then I'm sorry. I guess I need to find someone to write better jokes.

Labels: , , , ,


Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home