Listen Live

Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Dream Come True


By nature I've always been a car guy. My absolute favorite is the Porsche 911 Carrera.
It's been a dream of mine to own one for well over 25 years...and some day I hope to make it a reality.
I decided a long time ago that if I ever got famous, became a huge success, and made more money than Bill Gates, that my one weakness would be cars...and motorcycles.
I fell in love with motorcycles the summer of 1978 when our next door neighbor, Don, brought home a Honda. I can't remember much more than it drove my mom nuts when Don gave all of the little kids in the neighborhood a ride around the block one Sunday afternoon after a cookout.
I also remember that since I was in Junior High School I didn't get a ride. Man was I mad...I really wanted to cruise the neighborhood and be seen by this really cute 9th grade cheerleader that lived right around the corner. The fact that I would have been on the back hanging on to some beefy guy without his shirt on never crossed my mind...I just imagined her seeing me as "Bill Fox...motorcycle ridin' stud."
So when old Don put the bike away after taking my sister for a spin...I was hot! I remember stomping into my bed room, talking under my breath, and slamming the door. I vowed that afternoon that someday I'd have my own motorcycle...and I wasn't going to let old Don get near it!
Well it's been a few years since that summer day in 1978...and over the years my dream of getting a motorcycle had to go on the back burner. Oh sure, I still loved them. I always turned my head when I'd hear one rumble by...or if I saw a group of bikes riding down the road I'd pause for a second, wonder where they were going, imaging the freedom they must feel.

A few weeks ago L-A Harley held a silent auction for their customers, and they asked me to play MC. I eagerly agreed and had a blast hanging out with the staff, the customers, and all of the bikers that stopped by to check out the auction.
As I talked to them, asking questions, and getting to know them...I felt a real urge to buy a bike! Of course the fact that I've never been on a motorcycle gave me cause for pause. But, when I told a few of them that I've always dreamed of riding...instead of laughing like some of my friends have over the years...these folks were encouraging! They urged me to follow my dream. The passion that they spoke with about riding a Harley was contagious.
I drove home that night turning over all of the possibilities in my head. I slept on it, and thought a little more, and eventually told my wife what I wanted to do. She just shook her head and muttered something about wear a helmet and upping the life insurance!!
So, I've made my decision. I'm taking a motorcycle safety course this weekend...and if all goes as planned, I'll be riding a Harley Davidson by the end of the month. I'm not sure what model...but I sure do like the Rocker C. I'd love to hear your suggestions and/or thoughts if you're a H-D rider.

Oh yeah, by the way...Don, if you're reading this...I'm not giving you a ride after the cookout!


Labels: , , , ,


Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home