Listen Live

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools?

As you can imagine, with two kids graduating this year, Geoff and I have one busy household. Lots to prepare and plan for, and of course, college is at the top of the list!
Today, my daughter Caitlin, got confirmation that she’s been accepted to one of the Maine schools that she applied to. She’s thrilled, but was really hoping to be accepted to another school, so she’ll continue waiting. (It was the first acceptance letter we’ve received, so as excited as we are, we know that others will follow for both kids.)

After opening my email, I decided to check the news and I stumbled upon this story…As you can imagine I immediately thought of Caitlin…

'UC San Diego -- a school for the smart ones, supposedly -- mistakenly congratulated nearly 29,000 applicants on their acceptance, according to university officials. Earlier this month, about 17,000 students were offered admission for the fall, leaving nearly 29,000 hopefuls out in the cold.

But on Tuesday, the school's communications office said an e-mail was sent Monday afternoon to all 46,377 students who applied for admission -- including the 29,000 rejects -- welcoming them to the campus. A half-hour later, school officials said, they realized their mistake. Almost two hours after the first note went out, a second e-mail was sent, apologizing to 28,889 freshmen applicants for the mistake. An anonymous parent told the Los Angeles Times it was a "colossal screw-up."’
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/
Youre-Out-Youre-In-No-Youre-Out.html?yhp=1

I see how excited she was to be accepted from a school that she may not choose to attend, I can’t imagine her heartbreak at finding out it was a mistake! Wow. My heart goes out to these families and kids who got this letter. What a shame.

On another note, since it’s April Fools Day, I expected some sort of prank from someone and I think I got it. At least I HOPE I got it. Earlier today, I got a text message from Caitlin, saying that after school she and her friend Nicole were going to get their noses pierced. I told her “Ha ha, very funny”.

She replied that she was totally serious, so I sent back “April Fools!” To which she wrote “Mum, I am not joking. Its small and he said after it healed for a week I could take out the ring and put in a tiny stud.” As you can imagine, I lost my mind.

We’ve talked about this a few times over the past year, and I just can’t see someone wanting to put a bunch of holes in their face! I am partial because I am her mother, but she is a beautiful girl!

I don’t want to see a ring in her nose, even if it is tiny and only for a week!
What do you think?

Rock on with your bad selves,
H


Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home