Listen Live

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Random Thoughts On Pro Athletes, The Boston Celtics, Sweating, Last Comic Standing, and George Carlin

There are so many things I would love for us to talk about on Frank's Place with Bill & Heidi...trouble is there just isn't enough time to touch on everything.

I try to make sure we talk about the really big things that everyone will be talking about when you get to work. Some things we choose not to get into because of subject matter and relevance. We do our best to strike a balance between topical, fun, and serious...not to mention play music too. So from time to time we have to skip over things that I'd otherwise love to chat about.

For example...this A-Hole professional baseball player that choked the teams General Manager! Houston Astros Pitcher Shawn Chacon was just sitting down to his pre-game meal when GM Ed Wade asked to see him in the managers office for a meeting.

As Chacon tells the story to the Houston Chronicle, Wade yelled at him and was verbally abusive. When Chacon asked him to stop yelling at him, Wade continued his tirade and that's when Chanon stood up...more words were exchanged and then Chacon threw his boss on the floor and began choking him! (OK...in my opinion a little overboard...but hey, maybe the cafeteria was serving his favorite meal and he didn't want to be interrupted! I know when I'm having my favorite dish I hate to be disturbed!)

Chacon has been suspended indefinitely for insubordination. Insubordination? How about assault and battery? Jeesh...suspend the guy for life. Who in their right mind chokes their boss? Hey, I get called into meetings all the time by my boss...sometimes I don't feel like going either, but ya know what? He's my boss...he has the right to call me in for a talk if he needs to. Granted, I like my boss and I haven't been demoted in status like Chacon has...but still...choking your boss? This dude is a BIG LOSER if ya ask me.

I won't even get into what kind of example he setting for kids that look up to professional athletes because that's an entirely different can of worms...again, something I would love to get into on the air if we just had the time.



One of the better stories from today is that the Gatorade stained shirt that Doc Rivers wore last week when the Celtics won the NBA Finals has sold for $35,000 to an anonymous bidder. Meanwhile, Gatorade and another donor have bumped the price up to $55,000...and Steve Pagliuca will donate another $35,000 if the person who bought the shirt will let Boston put the shirt on display from time to time. All that money goes to charity!


Speaking of the Boston Celtics, tonight is the NBA Draft. The World Champs pick 30th in the first round...and the hot rumor among NBA insiders is that the Celtics may pick up Kansas State power forward Bill Walker.



Well, as I type this the rain has started here in Hollis. As much as I hate it because it traps my kids inside...and you know how much I love that (see earlier posts)...I'm actually glad it's raining now because the humidity was horrible an hour or two ago.

However, I'm NOT complaining because we have it pretty good here in Maine. people living in Phoenix...not so much! For the 4th year in a row, Phoenix has been named America's Sweatiest City! Residents there pump out an average of 26.4 ounces of sweat an hour during the summer....think about it...that's equal to 2 cans of soda! UGH!


OK...my Must See TV Pick of the Night: Last Comic Standing on NBC at 8:30.
I love this show...it's a chance to see a group of (usually) very funny comics not only do stand-up comedy, but also also compete in crazy challenges, and interact/live with other comics. Some of the funniest stuff actually isn't supposed to be funny...it's mostly how they get on each others nerves and talk about each other!

Here's a clip of Marcus...one of my favorites on this years show:



Another one of my favorites is Eddie Pepitone...check him out on Youtube. I'd LOVE to put a clip of his stuff on here...but it's a little too R rated for Frank!



And finally, George Carlin passed away and everyone is coming out of the wood work to pay tribute to a true legend! HBO2 is showing all of Carlin's 13 HBO specials from the past 30 years...and Saturday Night Live will re-air their debut episode from 1975, hosted by George Carlin, this Saturday night!

Here's Carlin, circa 1975, on The Mike Douglas Show.


Alright...that's it for now...talk to you in the morning.

Bill

Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home