Listen Live

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesday 6/24/08

Well, I had hoped that by the time this day came, I would be prepared. I had hoped to be able to rejoice and enjoy the freedom that this day would bring. Now that it is here, I am not ready to rejoice or celebrate anything about it.

What is this day you ask?

What is happening that should be cause for rejoicing?
(or in my current state of mind, non-rejoicing)

My boy-child starts drivers education today.

Now, don’t misunderstand me, or misconstrue what I am about to say. I am happy for him. Happy for the independence he will feel, happy for the status it will give him with his friends and classmates, happy that he will be able to drive himself to all the places he wants to go. But, there are some concerns I have regarding this day and what it is going to represent.

Yeah, yeah I know, I will have a teen in the house that I can send on errands when I don’t feel like dragging my lazy @ss out of the house – I can get extra chores out of him when he wants gas money or to take my car on a date because it is nicer than his.

That’s all old news. I went through that with my girl-child, see?

I also don’t anticipate any teary eyed calls at 11:00PM telling me he is lost and can’t give me a street name or a landmark, to be able to figure out where he is and then lead him home, like the girl-child has. He is already much better with finding his way to and fro, by using landmarks.

Anyway, he starts drivers training today and I am not happy about it.
I suppose the biggest problem I have with all of this, is that I told him I expected him to pay for his drivers ed. His sister paid for hers in full, before I would even let her sign up for the class.

Driving isn't a right, it is a privilege.

It isn't a basic need that I am required, as a parent, to provide. I am however expected to provide the 'building blocks of life' that he will need to go out into society and be a productive and responsible citizen.
That to me means, show him what it takes to make him self sufficient:
1.) GET A JOB
2.) PUT YOUR MONEY IN THE BANK
3.) KNOW YOUR LIMITS AND SAVE FOR WHAT YOU WANT
(this would also include a lesson on the difference between want and need...)
4.) BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSELF

So, what does my son go and do? He talks his father into paying for his classes. What a weasel!
Now, even though I've gone on about this class at length, it's really nothing compared to the fact that he has to take SUMMER SCHOOL and this driving thing is interfering with his education!
That makes me REALLY cross! Leave it to my EX to go and make a decision without consulting me (the other parent) and screw something up. Now, I have to get involved in something I had no part of, and try to make things copacetic for everyone involved.

Education, is always more important than fun.
At least in my opinion, and when we're discussing my teenage children.

Rock on with your bad selves, I got a mess to clean up.

H

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home