Listen Live

Monday, May 18, 2009

Motorcycle Update

If you listened to Frank's Place with Bill & Heidi last week, then you know that I decided to make a life-long dream come true and learn how to ride a motorcycle.

So, this past weekend I took the Maine Motorcycle Safety Education Course at Auburn-Lewiston Motorcycle Rider Education. The class was taught by Bud Caouett and Bill Haddock.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I do know that it was worth every cent. To say it was intense would be an understatement. Fast paced and intense, Bud and Bill filled my head with more information than I thought I could handle. After two hours in the classroom answering questions and watching video's...we were outside and on the back of a motorcycle!

As I mounted my bike, I was actually nervous...which isn't something that I usually feel. All of a sudden I was way out of my comfort zone! Choking back the nerves I tried to focus on Bud as he barked out instructions and Bill demonstrated. They both made it look so easy..but boy this stuff was much harder than it looked. At the end of the first day I had serious doubts if I was ever going to be able to ride a motorcycle successfully!

Then it dawned on me...I know a heck of a lot more this evening than I did this morning! I knew how to properly mount the motorcycle, start it, take off, and shift gears (although it wasn't the smoothest)...heck I even popped a wheelie...even though I didn't mean to! By the way, I still haven't had to go to the bathroom since then! Arriving at home Saturday night I had enough energy to eat, finish my homework, kiss the family good-night and go to bed.

When Sunday morning arrived I felt more confident. I was eager to get back on the bike and learn the next eight lessons before taking the riding evaluation. However, first I had to pass the written test...which I did with a 98 out of 100.

Back on the motorcycle two hours later, I found myself more relaxed and processing the information much faster and easier. At some point on Sunday afternoon it "all came together" as Bud and Bill said it would. Something just clicked, and for the first time I felt good about what I was doing.


Needless to say, however confident that I was feeling at that exact moment went flying out the window when it was time for the riding evaluation. As I looked around at my 10 classmates, I realized I wasn't the only one wondering if I would pass. Even the best riders were a little less sure of themselves than just an hour before.

Bottom line...I was one of the lucky ones...I passed! After a huge sigh of relief and a big smile, we were all reminded that all though we passed the course and can now go get motorcycle licenses, that doesn't qualify us as good riders! It takes hours and hours, sometimes years on the back of a motorcycle to be a truly proficient rider.

With that little dose of reality in my back pocket, I shook hands with Bud and Bill, and jumped into my car for the ride home. For the first time, I was much more aware of all the bikers on the road, and realized the challenges they face as they share the road with cars and trucks.

If you're a regular listener to Frank's Place with Bill & Heidi, or a reader of my blog, and you don't ride a motorcycle...do me a favor. The next time you're driving just pay attention and look for motorcycles...and be courteous. Most of them are watching for you. They want to arrive safely to where ever they're going just like you. Especially people like me that are new riders!

I hope to pick out a Harley-Davidson this weekend at L-A Harley and then find a nice safe parking lot for a few weeks before hitting the streets. So if you see a guy doing U-turns and quick-stops at Hollis Town Hall or behind Hannaford you'll know it's me. Stop by and check out my bike. I'll tell you all about the safety class, and give you Bud's number so you can get signed up and join the fun.

Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home