Listen Live

Monday, September 29, 2008

Gun Powder for Breakfast



On Saturday I watched the transformation of my cute, sweet, considerate, six-year-old son into a wild-eyed, competitive, soccer lunatic!

As the youngest son, Nick has weathered his fair share of dust-ups with his older brother, Jack...and usually held his own. But I couldn't believe my eyes on Saturday. The mild mannered kid I tuck in every night with his favorite Webkinz was ready to put the smack down on some curly headed kid for throwing an elbow in a pile-up as they both went for the soccer ball.

I missed the first scuffle...getting to the game a little later than expected...but as soon as I arrived other parents told me that the two had been going at it since the start of the game. By half time Nick was on fire...he had already scored two goals and was chomping at the bit to get back on the field. Of course, as any dad would be...I was proud of my son. My pride shortly changed to shock as the second half started and I watched as Nick and Curly ended up rolling around on the ground!

Nick jumped up, fist clenched, ready to square off. When the coach benched him I did my best to reassure my son and find out what was really going on. I found out that the other kid had been "mouthing off" and elbowed Nick in the pileup...I also found out the kid was one of his rivals from back during T-Ball season.

Who knew Hollis Rec sports was so competetive?


As I tried to calm down my "attack son," I couldn't help but feel a little proud that he was so passionate...I mean really...it's 1st & 2nd grade soccer....how many kids get that fired up over something? To him this was important...it might as well have been the World Cup...how dare some curly headed kid with a big mouth and an uncontrollable elbow get in his way.

A couple of minutes later he was fine and back in the game, and finished without incident.

After the game, another father came up chuckling and asked if I had fed Nick gun powder for breakfast! A few others also made comment...all in support of Nick...some wished their son was so passionate. Even Nicks coach said he loved his aggression...as long as it was focused properly.

All this for a kid that had never kicked a soccer ball until 3 weeks ago!

On the ride home we had one of our first "serious" father-son talks about competition, winning and losing, and sportsmanship. I'm pretty sure it's one of those moments I'll never forget...I hope it was the same for Nick.

He told me later in the day that when he turns pro...that while he loves me...he won't be buying me a new Porsche or a beach house. When I asked him why...he replied, "Hey, I'll need to buy bubble gum and candy with that money. I can't be spending it all on stuff for you!"

That's one conversation I hope he does forget!

Labels: , , ,


Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home