Listen Live

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ripoff

A couple of days ago they announced the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2009 nominees. I'd like to day that I think it's a great list...but I can't...but more on that in a minute. First, in case you missed the announcement...here's the list of this years nominees.

Metallica - One of the most successful heavy metal bands of their era.

Run-D.M.C. - Run-D.M.C. took hip-hop to the national stage in the 1980s.





Stooges - Iggy Pop and company were immediately embraced in New York, London and Los Angeles for the simplicity of their music.

Jeff Beck - Formed the first edition of the Jeff Beck Group in 1968. Inducted into the hall of fame in 1992 as a member of the Yardbirds.




Chic - Songwriter-producers Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards rescued disco in 1977 with a combination of groove, soul and studio smarts.


Wanda Jackson - The "First Lady of Rock and Roll" played her first tour at 18 with Elvis Presley back in 1955.



Little Anthony and the Imperials - They scored hits with "Tears on My Pillow" and "Shimmy, Shimmy, Ko-Ko-Bop".



War - War debuted with "Spill the Wine" in 1969.




Bobby Womack - Womack's career spans 55 years. He was a triple-threat as solo artist, session guitarist and writer of Aretha Franklin's "Chain Of Fools", among others.


While I agree with a lot of the nominees...I can't help but notice one glaring omission...and it's not the first time either! Once again they've snubbed one of my favorite singers...Eddie Money.

Come on would ya? What's the guy gotta do to at least get a nomination...forget about entry for a second...I'm talking about a nomination! There are members already in the Hall that were far less successful or popular...and my guy can't get a sniff? What a rip!

Let's take a look at this years nominees as an example of what I'm talking about.

Metallica: 'nuff said...these dudes rock and deserve a spot.



Run D.M.C.: Come on bro...there is no hip-hop without these cats...and they fused that whole Rock n Rap thing with Aerosmith. I got the chance to introduce them at a concert back in the 90's and it was awesome.



Stooges: OK...here's where it gets a little sketchy for me. Sure they were part of the whole punk thing...but come on, Iggy Pop spit and urinated on people! I don't care how punk ya are, spraying your spit all over another person is NEVER cool...and forget about taking a leak on someone. FREAK! So here's the first spot that Eddie should be singing Take Me Home Tonight to a very cool Hall of Fame statue.



Jeff Beck: He's already in with another band and his solo career wasn't that big...so give him Two Tickets To Paradise and send him on a vacation compliments of The Money Man!



Chic: Hell yes they belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! Who doesn't remember going to the skating rink on Saturday night and gettin' their skate on to Good Times? This is a no brainer.



Wanda Jackson: Ummm who? I don't even know who this is! Who came up with this list? They should be Shakin' out of fear for being uncovered as the dumbest person on the planet! This should read: Multi-Platinum recording artist Eddie Money!



Little Anthony & The Imperials: What? Two hit songs...back in the 1950's? I Wanna Go Back and change this nominee...to Eddie Money.



War: OK maybe...but in an election year does Rock n Roll really want be associated with one of the hottest topic's on the campaign trail...even if it is just the name of a band...they really only had two cool songs, and one of them with Eric Burdon? My vote is NO! Instead vote for love...as in Think I'm In Love.



Bobby Womack: OK this dude spent 55 years doing his thing, and played with Aretha...he paid his dues...give the guy a drink...



I think it's pretty clear that a few of these nominees have a rightful place in Cleveland...but come on man, give a brutha a break and put my man Eddie Money on that list! It won't happen this year...but like the Yankees are saying today...there's always next year.

Labels: , , , ,


Rate This Post


2 Comments:

Blogger Cary! said...

I think everyone on the list this year deserves their shot, but I agree that Eddie Money does too! I can't imagine why he wasn't nominated, honestly. Has anyone ever been to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? I work on behalf of Positively Cleveland, and we're getting the word out about the Rock Hall. I highly encourage all music fans to check it out. You can start on our website: http://www.positivelycleveland.com/visiting/things_to_do/cleveland_rocks/rock_hall. Also go to http://www.positivelycleveland.com/intheknow to enter to win passes to the Rock Hall AND a private tour from the curator!

Hope I haven't overstepped my bounds by leaving this comment; just working to let people know about what Cleveland has to offer! If you have any questions or concerns feel free to Email me :)

Cary A. Andrews
Positively Cleveland
cary.a.andrews@gmail.com

September 24, 2008 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger Bill Fox said...

Cary,

Your comments are more than welcome and you certainly didn't overstep your bounds. I'm glad to see someone comment instead of just lurk!

I HAVE been to Cleveland...MANY times. I grew up about 3 hoiurs south of the city. While I've never been to the Hall...I've certainly entertained thoughts of going. I'd love to do our morning show from there sometime and take along some listeners.

Please feel free to keep reading and comment anytime.

Best wishes.

Bill

September 24, 2008 at 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home