Listen Live

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Our Baby Has Arrived

Our new baby has arrived...all 70 lbs, 4 lanky legs, long muzzle with extremely wet nose included, and wagging tail. The only surprise? It isn't Onyx!

We had no idea that Greyhound Pets of America-New Hampshire would bring along another greyhound when they brought Onyx to pay us a visit on Saturday. But that's exactly what they did.

After just a few minutes of walking around our backyard, a tour of the inside of Casa Fox, and meeting our crazy Boxer and 4 cats...it was apparent that Onyx wasn't going to be joining this dog pack. It wasn't anything in particular...we just didn't have that connection.

However, the other greyhound, Chatterbox, fit right in. He obviously loved the kids...leaning in for scratches behind the ear, and walking easily on lead. While cautious with Zora, he was still interested in playing, and when strolling around inside he looked at the cats and turned away as if they were just another piece of furniture...ALL good signs. And I thought it was kind of ironic that a guy that talks on the radio for a living would have a dog named Chatterbox!

So now he had to pass the Charmen test. In all honesty my wife would have been just fine without another dog in the house. She likes the calm and ease of only one dog. Truth be told she's a cat person...as a matter of fact, I'm convinced that if I die early and the kids move away...she'll be the crazy cat lady at the end of the street. You know the one...79 cats in one house, cat magnets all over the refrigerator, 18 years of Cat Fancy Magazine stacked up beside the bed...get the picture?

Anyway, after a lengthy discussion about schedule conflicts, crate size, and responsibilities...it came down to this statement from my wife: "Do it if you want."

To the less experienced husband that would have been the green light, all systems go sign, full steam ahead...but I've been around the block a couple of times...I know that phrase comes with a lot of hidden meanings. Not only did she say "Do it if you want", but she threw in "the look." You know the one guys...the look that says, "Do it, but when it all blows up in your face...don't come running to me for help!" The one that says, "I can't believe you don't see the problems you're causing with this decision."

So being wise enough to recognize this look I new it was time to slow my roll! Maybe she was right...maybe I rushed into this, maybe things were OK without adding another 4 feet to the pitter patter of my house...hmmm...or else it was all a big ploy on her part. Maybe she was working an angle...trying to score some expensive necklace she's had her eye on, or a long weekend in Boston with her sister, leaving me to take care of the boys and all of these animals. Hmmmm...this would require some real thought.

So I excused myself to ponder all of the possibilities...and there on the toilet all things became crystal clear. I decided to follow my heart...adopt Chatterbox, love him, give him a forever home, and deal with the othr stuff as it comes up! I also realized it was time for a new toilet as well!

By the time I made it outside I could see that Charmen was finally warming up a bit more to the idea of having a greyhound in the family again. Chatterbox had made his way over to her and was laying on the charm. After a few more minutes of discussion with the adoption coordinators, Charmen finally gave me the sign that she was on board. There were cheers from the kids and the GPA folks, and even Chatterbox seemed relieved that he had found a permanent home.

The first night was pretty uneventful. Chatterbox found his way upstairs to explore and meet the other cats...who were NOT impressed, but tolerated him none-the-less...he played with Zora, and reveled in the fact that he was getting scratched and rubbed at every turn.

The real fun started at 1:30 this morning. That's when I decided to finally call it a night, and placed him in his crate. All seemed well at first...until I had just gotten comfortable...and that's when the howling started. I ignored it at first, realizing that we're in a transition phase...this is normal. Then came the barking. OK...that's normal. Then came the moaning, howling and barking all at once!

That's when my wife rolled over and said, "Your dog wants you!"

Cut to the chase...I slept on the couch last night, right next to Chatterbox. He calmed down and finally went to sleep. When I woke up a couple of hours ago I was greeted with a big wet greyhound kiss for my efforts...meanwhile, my wife is still sound asleep in our bed...with her cat!

The kids are eating breakfast, and Chatterbox is right here beside me on the floor as I type this...feels like a pretty good Sunday...even if my back does hurt from sleeping on the couch!

I'm off to the kitchen for a cup of coffee...and to feed my new best friend. Talk to you in the morning.

Labels: ,


Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home