Listen Live

Saturday, August 23, 2008

A New Member of the Fox Family?

Now before anyone gets too excited...my wife is NOT pregnant! I already have two sons and that's MORE than enough!

However, we may be adding to the family with another 4 legged friend...a really, really fast friend...a retired racing greyhound.

I first got involved with greyhound adoption when I was in the U.S. Air Force and living in San Antonio, TX. My first wife and I adopted a total of 5 greyhounds and we were actively involved with Hill Country Greyhound Rescue and Adoption (now TXGAP).

I helped coordinate meet and greets, arranged transport schedules from the track in Corpus Christie back to San Antonio, did home checks for potential greyhound owners, helped clean kennels, feed, and turnout the dogs for exercise...I was very involved and loved every single minute of it. The people were fantastic, and the dogs captured my heart.

I still remember the day that I met my first greyhound. We had gone to Petsmart to pick up a bag of food for my Norwegian Elkhound (another truly amazing breed) and as we were leaving, the HCGRA was just setting up for a meet and greet...greyhounds were everywhere. I was instantly taken with their grace and beauty.


As I looked on admiringly, one of the volunteers asked me if I'd like to pet one of the dogs. Well...you don't have to ask me twice! I was thrilled to stand around petting a dog I didn't even know. Too bad the dog didn't feel the same way! Perhaps it was my exuberance and enthusiasm, but that particular greyhound wasn't so thrilled to meet me...he gave me a look that said, "Stand back freak show."

At that point...someone that would turn out to be one of my favorite people in the world...Ray Massey...stepped forward to reassure me that just because that greyhound didn't like me...that there were others that would. As a matter of fact one was on the way within minutes!

So being the goofy dork I am, I stood around waiting. Then he walked through the door...long, sleek, shiny black hair, tail wagging, tongue hanging out the side of his mouth...and he was walking straight toward me. I've said since that day that he saw SUCKER written all over my face and turned on his magic greyhound charm.


It was like a scene out of some movie...I bent down as he approached and before I could blink he was giving me those greyhound kisses that I would learn to love and cherish. He rubbed his head against my leg, then leaned into me and before I knew what hit me I was in love.

The only thing that I didn't like about him was his name...Wubba Wubba! Who names a dog Wubba Wubba? I soon found out that lots of greyhounds get weird names...but have "normal" nicknames. However, Wubba Wubba didn't have a cool nickname...that would soon change.

To be honest...at this point, like any new relationship...I got scared. I wasn't sure I was able to commit. So we said our goodbyes...a nice hug and a rub on the head from me...a big sloppy greyhound kiss from Wubba Wubba...and I left the store.

For the next hour I tried to shop for furniture for the new house I had just had built. I'd moved in the week before and most of the rooms were empty or had left over stick furniture pieced together from my parents and in-laws left overs.

As hard as I tried to focus on chairs, couches and end tables...my mind kept thinking about Wubba Wubba.

My ex, for all of our differences, shared a true love for animals and she could tell my head and my heart was back at Petsmart. So she quickly wrapped up the deal on the furniture, and as we walked back to the parking lot we both knew we weren't headed home just yet! Without saying a word, I pointed the car toward Petsmart.

As I walked back through the door, Ray was there...a smile from ear to ear, his hand extended, his voice booming "Welcome to the family!" As I signed the adoption papers Ray told me that he knew I'd be back. Little did he know I'd be back again and again.

Becoming active in he and his wife Patsy's greyhound rescue group is one of the shiny moments of my life. However, as things change and people grow, our paths split off as I went to California for a new morning show opportunity...then another...along the way getting divorced, remarried, and having two kids...I've never found a way to merge our paths for more than a quick visit or a phone call and/or an e-mail.


However, in that time I've adopted and loved several greyhounds. Three years ago this month I lost one of my favorites...Tornado...to cancer. It was one of the three saddest days of my life.


Since then I've been without a greyhound and my life has been worse because of it. Oh sure...I have pets...and if you listen to the show, then you know I love each one of them. From our crazy Boxer, Zora...to the amazing cats Linus, and Pearl that we adopted from the Animal Refuge League in Westbrook...and our sons 2 Guinea Pigs...I love them all. But none have ever filled my heart the same way a greyhound does.

So after months of mulling it over...today we'll meet Onyx. He's a black, 2 year old retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America-New Hampshire. A volunteer is driving him to our house tonight to see if this may possibly be his forever home. He reportedly gets along well with other dogs, likes cats, and is great with kids. So our hope is that he'll be a good match.

My hopes are probably a little higher than the rest of the family...they'll love him no matter what because he's a sweet dog. Me on the other hand...well, I'm looking for true love like I found with Wubba Wubba...who by the way, had his named changed that first day to Bogey!

I'll let you know tomorrow how things turn out this afternoon with Onyx. Wish me luck.

Labels: , , ,


Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home