Listen Live

Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Portland Sea Dogs welcome my son, Nick Fox


Friday night the Portland Sea Dogs played the New York Yankee's affiliate, The Trenton Thunder.

My son Nick has been on me for weeks to get tickets to the game...not because he is thrilled by the whole Red Sox vs. Yankees thing...or because he's played T-Ball the past two years and now has dreams of playing big league ball someday...or even because he just likes hanging at the ball park and diggin' the vibe! No, more primitive urges were driving this desire to see Portland's best ball players...it was the primordial urge to even the score between brothers!

You see Nick was supposed to go to a game last month. I had bought the tickets with the sole purpose of taking him once his T-Ball season wrapped up...sort of a celebration of his commitment and love of the game...however, things didn't work out quite the way we planned.

Before we could get to game day, Nick decided that cleaning-up his room really wasn't a priority. After repeatedly telling him to get it done, I finally made the ultimate ultimatum...clean the room or no Sea Dogs game! (cue the ominous music)

Being the son of two strong-headed parents he reacted as only he could...he set his jaw, stomped off toward his room to do the inevitable...but before he got there he just had to get in one more final comment under his breath...and that was his Achilles heel...because he was still close enough for me to hear him utter a curse word! The word isn't really important...it wasn't anything too inflammatory, but it was a curse none the less...and while I fought to keep a smile from crossing my face...I had to lower the hammer.

So Nicks dream of getting that Sandy Madera autograph was going to have to wait. (Cue the tears and the tirade of what a horrible father I am...at least until he wants $14 for a new Webkinz, then I'm the coolest dude to walk upright on the planet...it's all par for the course)

My oldest son, Jack...always the opportunist...was watching all of this unfold much like a bird of prey watches a mouse from his tree branch high above. Seconds after "Nick the Curser" shuffled off to his room in tears...Jack slid up next to me on the coach and said something like, "Ya know Dad...it would be a shame to see that ticket to the Sea Dogs go to waste. Maybe you and I should just go to the game."

After reminding him of our last Sea Dogs outing together...where he lasted for two hot dogs, a coke, and a Sea Dogs Biscuit...he insured me that he was "more mature" now and actually enjoyed baseball for more than just the menu at the concession stand. So it was decided...Jack and I would go to the game. It turned out out be an amazing experience for both of us...some real father/son bonding and a lesson in baseball and life. It rates as one of my favorite days so far this year. None of the experience was wasted around our house...Jack made a point to let his brother know what a great time we had, exactly how much money I had spent, and of course...how he could have gone IF he could have just controlled his foul mouth!

Nick, a little wiser than last time he got mad, looked at Jack with a glare that only brothers give another brother...shuffled off, mumbling something under his breath...checking to make sure I wasn't close enough to hear it!

So...when I announced I had tickets for last nights game he was thrilled...his long exile from Hadlock Field was about to end.



Wanting to make this a night to remember...I decided to use my very minor celebrity status to see if I could pull a few strings for my son. So I made a couple of calls and before I knew it we were standing inside the stadium hoping to meet Nicks favorite player, Sandy Madera.

It was kind of weird...I could tell he was excited, but he was very quiet. In retrospect I'm sure it was for no other reason than to carefully file away every detail in order to brag to his brother about how he got an "insiders look" at the Sea Dogs operation and how much they really liked him!

Anyway...as fate would have it the weather conspired against our best efforts and the team was holed up in the club house waiting for the rain to pass...so Sandy wasn't available. If he was disappointed, Nick didn't show it...at least not much...

The Sea Dogs staff was great! Chris made sure Nick got out of the rain and into the stadium early, armed with Slugger cards...and then to top it all off, Jessica offered Nick a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity...the chance to race Slugger around the bases! Now you tell me...what 6 year old kid with dreams of playing for the Sea Dogs...wouldn't take that deal!

Finally after 5 long innings (long from the perspective of a little kid about to race a minor league baseball team mascot) Nick finally made his way to the field for the most important race of his young life. This was life or death...there were players and coaches watching this race...maybe they would see how fast he runs, his fantastic instincts, and uncanny ability to slide home...his skills so great and finely honed, that they may actually offer him a deal to play for the team that very night! (Of course I'm talking about me...I'm sure Nick was excited too)

Anyway...the cue was given and the race was on. Nick's legs pumping faster than I've ever seen, he kept looking over his shoulder to check Slugger's status. As he rounded third, headed for home plate I could tell he was considering a slide...but then at the last possible second decided otherwise. As he crossed the plate he was met with thunderous applause...and the smile on his face was priceless. He walked off the field like it was no big deal...something he had done a hundred times before. When I asked him why he didn't slide his reply was priceless...he said, "I didn't want to show off too much...now can I have a Sea Dog Biscuit...I'm starving...running around the bases takes a lot out of ya!"




Oh yeah...the Sea Dogs won! Sandy Madera hit a homerun his first at bat of the game and then had a couple of RBI's at the end. And while he has no idea he's my sons favorite player...he was kind enough to take time to sign his ball after the game was over...and seemed genuinly happy to do so.

I hope that someday Nicks dream of becoming a Major League Baseball player comes true...and it turns out that he has an amazing career. If it does happen...more than anything I hope that he keeps that same attitude...work hard to win, don't show off too much...and remember that there's nothing better than ice cream at the ball park.

Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home