Listen Live

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?


We talked about this morning on Frank's Place with Bill & Heidi...and I was shocked to find out how many people agreed with me...it's OK to say Merry Christmas.

For years now it seems like we've been beat over the head with political correctness. Instead of the traditional "Merry Christmas" that we all said as kids (at least those of us that grew up pre-1990)...we were told to substitute it with "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays" so as not to offend those that didn't celebrate Christmas.

If you're like me...you never wanted to offend anyone. You respect other people with different beliefs and you'd never try to impose your values on them. So if they celebrate something other than Christmas...so be it. But they shouldn't be offended by something as innocent as "Merry Christmas"...just like I wouldn't be offended if they wished me Happy Hanukkah, or Happy Kwanzaa...or Happy anything else for that matter.


For me there's just something about hearing, or wishing someone, Merry Christmas. Maybe it's nostalgia...I'm not sure...but remember when you were a kid? You prayed for that first big snow of the year. As an adult we almost always dread the snow...it means having to shovel the walk or plow the driveway! As a kid Christmas time was filled with excitement...parties at school, your favorite cookies that Grandma only made once a year, writing a list for Santa...you get the picture.

Now days we can't have a Christmas party at school...we have to have a Winter Festival, the cookies we used to smell baking as we danced around the oven have been replaced with a package bought at the grocery store, and letters to Santa have been replaced with an e-mail or God forbid...a text message with your list of toys!

So it was GREAT this morning when the overwhelming majority of Frank's Place listeners called to say...keep on saying MERRY CHRISTMAS!

On that note...I think I'll get out my grandma's Christmas cookie recipe and whip up a batch. Mmmmm....I can almost smell them now. While I do that...why don't you enjoy this little Christmas gem....




Oh yeah...MERRY CHRISTMAS to you!

Labels: , ,


Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home