Listen Live

Monday, September 8, 2008

Change your attitude --

OK,

So I am not going to lie about it. I wasn’t going to blog again today. I have been so lazy with this lately it makes me angry. I can come up with a million excuses why I haven’t been blogging as often as I should. I can’t give you a good reason though.

Anyway – I was feeling angry earlier this afternoon, because I couldn’t get a decent nap. I had dreams that someone was trying to kill me last night, and I didn’t sleep much. That’s probably another entire blog and I don’t have time for it right now – so, suffice it to say that I was cranky because I couldn’t sleep for whatever reason. I moped around this afternoon, and was sluggish and cross. I wasn’t happy with myself and that didn’t make my situation any better.

After feeling sorry for myself all afternoon, I decided it was time to make dinner. Now, I know I told you that I moved recently. I now live with my boyfriend and his son in a large house that is fully wired for sound. It’s quite awesome actually. I turned on the stereo and the speakers to the kitchen and started the tunes.

I love music for so many reasons. I love music of all types, sometimes I like the sounds of a Mexican salsa, other times it is the sounds of Big Band and Swing. On occasion, I enjoy Jazz, and of course there’s always Reggae! Who doesn’t love that? Anyway, I selected Classic Rock – I know right? I NEVER listen to that!... But I have to tell you, that by my selection today I revisited my love for the ability that music has to change a mood.

I turned on the music and went in the kitchen. The first song I heard was Queen’s ‘We are the Champions’. I got all the ingredients from the cupboard and fridge that I needed to make dinner. I got the necessary cookware from the cupboard and prepared the stove for action. I started thinking about the song, instead of my task, and that started me thinking about other things. Mainly, my foul mood.

I couldn’t resist singing along, thinking about being a champion, and how good it feels.
I am a champion. I have been successful in quitting smoking! In two days, it will have been 4 months since I’ve last smoked. (Quit date was Mother’s Day Weekend 5/10/08) Holy crap! I didn’t think it would ever happen, and now that it has, I feel great! I can’t imagine actually smoking again. I love how my food is tasting, my clothes are smelling and my car is staying so much cleaner! It is easier for me to breathe and I don’t start coughing every time I laugh at something. Don’t get me wrong, I still have my fits of coughing. Bill can attest to it. Sometimes I barely make it through what we’re doing and I am dying! But I am not smoking, and that makes me a champion.

I have, with the help of my boyfriend and our collective brood of teenagers, retrained my dog to be a better person. Don’t laugh. It’s true! He used to sleep with me in the bed every night. I let him get up on all the furniture. I spoiled him rotten! Now, in the short few weeks that we’ve moved – he’s turned into such a better dog! He has his own bed at night and he totally digs it! I sorta wish I would have gotten him one sooner, but thought he was happy with the furniture. He doesn’t have to wear a leash outside anymore, due to the help of a training collar. He is much happier now than he has ever been, he likes the great energy of this household. I am a champion for making my dog a better person and for becoming more responsible about him and his behaviours.

REO Speedwagon made me realize that as far as my boyfriend, I AM going to ‘keep on loving him’ because he is the absolute most wonderful man I’ve ever met. He is everything I could ever ask for in a person, a housemate and a life partner.

Supertramp’s “Give a little bit” came on and I changed gears again mentally. I decided that I really had no reason to be grumpy. I have a great life now. I have kicked the habit. I have a kick ass job, I have a kick ass boyfriend, I live in a kick ass house! Heck, my dog even kicks ass!

No grumpies for me, I am done. My mood is great because the music I tuned into reminded me how great my life is now.

Something else I realized… It is much easier to appreciate something when you’ve worked for it.

I am going back to the kitchen to finish dinner. I hadn’t planned on this going so long. Well, then again, I hadn’t planned on writing it in the first place. But, I realize that sometimes the best things aren’t planned.

Rock on with your bad self,

H

Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home