Listen Live

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Here we go again...


It's been a crazy couple of weeks as we all gear up for the 4th Annual Frank Cares for Kids Radiothon at Barbara Bush Children's Hospital.

There is so much behind-the-scenes stuff that goes in to the Radiothon. I'm so thankful that we have an awesome team to get the job done. People always tell me that I make it all sound so easy. That's a huge compliment...but I can't really take credit for much...except flapping my gums!

The Radiothon team starts planning almost immediately after we turn the microphones off on the third day at BBCH. We go back and review what worked...and what didn't. We play back the interviews...listening for those little "nuggets" that we can use in one of the many "Montage" songs that we play to highlight a story or a patient. We conduct more interviews...searching for compelling stories to share with you.

Then as the new year starts we begin to address the technical side of things...making sure that phone lines work, computers are in place, and that we can actually broadcast the event from the atrium of the 6th floor where all of the kids stay while at BBCH.

From our boss, Stan, who oversees the entire production...to Leif who schedules all of the songs and does a LOT of interviews...the engineers that make it all come out of the radio...the folks back at the station that run the controls in the studio...and of course, the amazing staff Children's Miracle Network, and the BBCH...it truly is the definition of "all hands on deck."

As I get ready to call it a night...and snuggle up with my own two kids before bed...I hope that like me, you'll look at your kids and think by the grace of God! I am truly blessed with two healthy boys. Are they perfect? Far from it! Do they drive me crazy? You better believe it. But would I trade places with any other dad in the world? Heck no!

We are SO fortunate to have a place like BBCH in our backyard. Miracles happen there EVERY SINGLE DAY. My hope, on the ever of our 4th Radiothon, is that you can find it in your heart to open up your wallet, or checkbook, or get out the credit card...and make a pledge to be a Frank Miracle Maker. All it takes is $15 a month...less than .50 a day.

I know we're all feeling the pinch of this economy...so if you can't find it in your budget this year...that's OK. But there are still ways to give to BBCH...maybe you can collect money from others. Or...give of your time and your energy, volunteer, read to the kids, etc. Where there's a will there's a way.

I'll be blogging each day during Radiothon from the BBCH atrium. We'll be taking pictures and uploading them to the website...and you can follow me and the entire team on Facebook and Twitter.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , ,


Rate This Post


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home